The New Jersey Work Environment Council (WEC) is a coalition of 70 labor, community, and environmental organizations advocating for safe, secure jobs and a healthy, sustainable environment. WEC seeks an industrial hygiene (IH) consultant to provide technical assistance on an as needed basis to WEC members.
The primary function of this position will be to identify and resolve environmental health and safety concerns, and to encourage all affected parties to work together in creating a safe and healthy workplace.
The industrial hygiene consultant will have these responsibilities:
• Providing technical assistance with emphasis on organizing.
• Presenting workshops on topics such as using health and safety organizing.
• Interpreting IH reports into terms for a popular audience. (No IH sampling involved.)
• Attending and occasionally speaking at meetings and workshops of unions, community,
and environmental organizations.
• On occasion, providing training to workers, parents and community stakeholders.
• Developing or edit materials including but not limited to fact sheets.
• 3+ years of experience in environmental or occupational safety consulting or related field.
• Experience with OSHA/EPA Regulations and NJDOL/NJDEP Regulations
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• A valid driver’s license and car access are required
• Previous experience as an organizer with unions, safety and health coalitions,
community organizations allied with labor or other grass roots organizations is a plus.
Experience working for a regulatory agency, labor union or grassroots community organization and a public health viewpoint preferred.
To apply, email a) a cover letter; b) resume; and c) three professional references (with contact information) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
WEC is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and LGBT individuals are urged to apply.
Union members who can take leave time for union‐related leave of absence are also encouraged to apply.
WEC is the nation’s longest standing labor/environmental coalition and is the state affiliate of the BlueGreen Alliance, a national coalition of unions and environmental organizations.
Visit www.njwec.org for more information.